As it is Earth Week, which I think is a little crazy as we should always be conscious of what we are doing to the Earth. I thought I would start to promote healthy living. Healthy living, not just for ourselves, but for others too.
David Suzuki starred in a documentary on a TV channel here in Canada, on which he presented a speech outlining many relevant important activities effecting life on the planet as we know it. One thing that really struck me, was the way he explained the connection of our breathing to our environment. The air we breathe circulates around our body, it comes in and out, but it never leaves us. We need it and it is in our cells. He explained that there is no separation between us and our environment, we are connected to the air, there is no boundary between human life and air, it IS us and we are it. If we pollute our air, we are only polluting ourselves. I have thought this way for many years now. My perception is, that the collective human consciousness on the inside, is reflected on the outside, they go hand in hand. It’s a vicious cycle, because we see the pain in the world we feel more pain and continue to make more pain. We need to change this vicious cycle into a ‘positive movement cycle’. We need to really aim for a positive attitude and realise that this internal attitude will make a difference on the external. Take it down to a root level – Say for example you have never been into photography but you then decide to get into it. You suddenly realise how many people are into the same thing and you begin to notice more people around you taking photos. It applies to anything, whatever you are focused on, suddenly becomes more apparent in your life.
Focus on a Healthy Positive Attitude and Planet
So with that being said, we need to concentrate our efforts into the positive aspects of improvement. Look for people doing good and search for reports of improvement and it will be astounding just how much people are doing to create a positive change. You will see amazing initiatives and you will feel that there is hope, more than hope, there is definite positive change. Make that change, look at things in a positive light and realise it can be done. It will not only make you feel great, it will make everyone around you feel great. Lets begin this shift together.
To get started check through some of the below articles / web sites and see what is already happening around you.
1. Cradle to Cradle – Cradle to Cradle® Certification is a multi-attribute eco-label that assesses a product’s safety to humans and the environment and design for future life cycles.
2. David Suzuki Foundation – working with government, business and individuals to conserve our environment by providing science-based education, advocacy and policy work, and acting as a catalyst for the social change that today’s situation demands.
3. I’m one person. Look what I can do! | Queen of Green | David Suzuki Foundation – looking at habits you can change to move towards a “greener” life.
4. Clean Bin Project – for one year a couple decide to live without buying material goods and attempt to live without producing household garbage.
5. Water. org – a U.S.-based nonprofit organization committed to providing safe drinking water and sanitation to people in developing countries.
6. Ted Talks – an 18 minute video explaining how our advances also give us the science to recognize the strain on the Earths resources and change our behaviour.